Mission and History
Established in 1973 by the Birmingham Jewish Federation, the N.E. Miles Jewish Day School is located on the Montclair Road Jewish Community Campus. The school was born out of the desire of community members to provide an excellent general studies and Jewish education for their children in an atmosphere of respect for diversity and love of learning.The school is named for Dr. Nathaniel Edgar Miles (1910-1995), a friend and philanthropist, who devoted his career and life to children and Jewish education, and whose generosity has greatly benefited our school.
The NEMJDS is a community, which integrates Judaic and General Studies, empowering students to impact the world with courage and compassion.
Our students become highly educated citizens who engage the world through a Jewish lens.
Honor and respect for self and others
Community of kindness
The continued growth and success of our program is credited to our dedicated students, families, faculty and staff, and the community at large. The Birmingham Jewish Federation provides financial support annually to NEMJDS, and the Birmingham Jewish Foundation holds the NEMJDS Endowment funds. The school moved into its current building in 1993. In 2014, we completed school renovations through our Building for the Future Campaign. In 2015, our building was officially renamed the Abroms Institute for Lifetime Learning and dedicated in honor of Hal and Judy Abroms, lifelong friends of the Day School. Thanks to the generosity of our donors, our students now enjoy an open and progressive learning environment that offers the tools they need to thrive in our changing world.